Thursday, September 07, 2006

Pleasure Quarters

Somehow I thought the sex trade was not quite so vibrant in the lovely city of Shanghai, but it sure is there. I had a long conversation with my foot massage guy this morning (in Mandarin), who told me they get 20 guests/day coming in for "full-service" massages. The price is roughly $100-150, which I guess is a bargain (having never been in the market myself), but I'm struck by how many men seek this service. It's also quite inconvenient for me, since the massage folks are "busy" most of the night and thus wake up very late, making it hard to get a good foot massage before noon.

Separately, I'm also struck by the sheer volume and aggressiveness of the 'working girls' at high-end bars. I was in the bar at one of the cities best hotels, where there were three guys and 5-6 professional girls, all dressed up. And more outside to come up to you when you leave by any exit. And these are not heroin ho's, but very good-looking, well-dressed women. Quite a market, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home